Proliferation of technology for modifying natural gems – or for simply creating gems in the laboratory – has made it increasingly difficult to know you are getting the gem you paid for.
My response to this issue is to provide documentation for every stone I offer. I NEVER purchase and resell cut goods. Every stone I offer came to me as gem rough, which I scrutinized and prepared for cutting, whether I personally did the cutting or not.
Many of the stones I offer were mined by me personally. Some were mined by close friends and trusted colleagues, while others came from dealers with whom I have a long-standing trusting, professional relationship. Also, I occasionally purchase estates, or unique stones from show dealers or roadside rock shops.
In keeping with my personal commitment to quality and value, the provenance of every stone I offer is displayed within that stone’s entry. The notes below provide details for the various levels of certification. Detailed documentation about the origin and working of a stone is part of that individual stone’s history and value. Because value is what I sell, all of my stones bear my personal certification.
- Fully Certified:
- This item was mined, cut, and set by me. I may have designed the faceting plan. This gem bears my personal workmanship, and I certify hands-on supervision of it – from the hole in the ground to the finished piece.
- Origin Certified:
- I personally mined this gem, so I certify the stone’s origin. However, cutting was provided by a commercial vendor.
- Trust Certified:
- This stone came from a very trusted source, such as a close personal friend who owns the mine of origin – and who personally vouches for the origin and treatment status of the gem. I may have personally cut the stone, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.
- Vendor Certified:
- This stone came from a vendor with whom I have a long-standing business relationship. The vendor certified the origin and treatment status of this piece and thereby stakes his reputation on that certification. I may have personally cut the stone, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.
- Not Certified:
- This stone was obtained through purchase of an estate, at a show, or through some other unverifiable source. Any notes regarding source, treatment, etc are strictly speculation and are not certified. I may have personally cut the stone, or cutting may have been provided by a commercial vendor.